Donkeys and burros are the same. A mule is a cross between a burro and a horse.

I've only ridden a mule once on a 23 mile trip into the Sequoias. I was a youngster and with a group. We used an outfitter to supply us and everyone got a horse except for me. I was kind of bummed out by that until one of the guides told me that mule was the best ride of the bunch, and that turned out to be so. He was like riding a Cadillac.

I own two burros and burros have a longstanding reputation as being stubborn, but that's not actually the case. The truth is they're very smart and they have a strong will. If they think you're asking them to do something stupid they won't do it, but if you work with them and show them how, they'll get it quick enough.

Equine that are used like those you met run into all kinds of people who don't have a clue and they're not above taking advantage of that. They also know when they've got someone who has a clue, and will be less likely to give them much guff.

I've ridden more than a few horses like that. I've been on a few that will try and grind you up against a tree when they're passing by. A hard steady pull on those reins away from the tree a few times and they'll quit. I've twisted the ears of a few who didn't get it right off but they understood that well enough.

A big difference to consider between horses and burros/mules is that a horse won't respond to treats. They think all food should be free and available all the time. Burros, on the other hand, will do backflips, hoof stands, and even your homework for a few good snacks. If you'd have offered that donkey a few treats he'd likely have taken a fast shine to you and been good.

Personally, I'd take a mule or a burro over a horse any day. My wife, on the other hand, is a bit of an equine snob and considers them to be 2nd class.

"You want to go where?"