Thanks, Jason - I fully agree. I like the build of Deuter packs, but can't seem to find one that fits me right:(the load lifter tabs are all attached too low - same problem I have with the Osprey Kestrel 48. They're sold as one size fits all, when in fact one size fits some. The Kestrel is sold as a M/L, but when you stand it next to an Atmos Large, the point where the load lifter attaches to the frame is an inch and a half higher; put it next to an Atmos Medium, and it's the same height. I ended up having the same problem with replacing my Vapor Trail: I tried the Nimbus Ozone and a brand new one (can't remember the name - had a lovely long zippered pocket down the back that held my rain gear perfectly), and the attachment points were simply too low to let me get the 45 degree angle. Although I like my Kestrel, I may end up using my Atmos 50 simply because it gets the load lifter angle right.

As far as screen printing, I don't much go for shelf appeal either - thus, I'm not overly impressed with racing stripes, or for that matter with gimmicks like "stow on the go", sleeping compartment dividers (really? you're afraid of having your gear touch your bag?), sleeping bag access zippers (my pack is empty by the time I'm ready to get my bag out), energy gel pockets on shoulder straps, or really even hipbelt pockets (though if they're large enough, they can be useful - as long as you put stuff in it that isn't hurt by being bent into a curve.) Double-compartment top lids are mostly pointless, as are the cute little mesh pockets on the underside of the lid. But they look cool, and let you put a really long list of "features" on your hang tag. I also don't see any real reason for multi-colored packs, for that matter. (I'll stop here, before I start waxing nostalgic over my old green Camp Trails Adjustable II pack.)

Yeah, I'm a gear junkie - I'm starting to suspect that choosing the owner of the local backpacking shop as my recovery partner may be part of the problem. I'll give him another year, and if there's no progress... smile In the meantime, I may have to ask him why he no longer stocks Granite Gear. Thanks again for the information.