Originally Posted By AKenthusiast
Im not much of a believer in the alcohol stoves because the point of them is to reduce weight but the alcohol can get pretty heavy on long trips.

Side by side there are pros and cons to both the SuperCat and JetBoil, but both are still very good backpacking stoves and that's the main point worth considering.

There are a lot of very good stoves out there. Shoot, there are members here who own dozens of stoves and use them all. All stoves have pros and cons, so don't dismiss alcohol stoves all together. There are trips where they can be a very good choice and they can be a lot of fun to design, build, and test.

I've built several. I made pressurized "Pop can" stoves, "Penny" stoves, and finally the SuperCat and SimmerCat stoves. I came away most impressed with the SuperCat stove. At first glance it's so simple that it can fool you into thinking it's low tech. The truth is that design is so incredibly well thought out for the single purpose of boiling two cups of water that, from a design point of view, it's almost perfect.

That doesn't mean I think it's a better backpacking stove than the JetBoil. The JetBoil does a lot more than just boil two cups of water. Both are very good backpacking stoves.

I think it's worth learning how to do a trip with just an alcohol stove, and with no stove at all too. Some members here don't even heat water or cook at all. I have limits. grin

"You want to go where?"