Originally Posted By OregonMouse
An item we often have to do without out here in the West….

Actually, I enjoy watching it get dark and the stars come out, something you don't see while sitting around a fire.

Me too OM. I do love campfires too. All my kids grew up making "Smores" around campfires and still get together with their school age friends and have them. It is a Ozarky thing. People have backyard parties where the main attraction is a bonfire. We'll have one too. It's a good way to get rid of all the deadfall in the yard and pasture and a good excuse for family and friends to get together.

But, I still love sleeping on the ground with no campfire and no tent and gazing at the sky. I've still never seen as many stars as I did while camping in Sequoia NP and I do miss that. That view would certainly make a difference if the choice were available.

This time of year here there's so much humidity in the air that even on clear nights you don't see near as much as you can out West. Even so, people that come from the city where the light pollution is strong are amazed by the stars and night sky here, so it's still better than a lot of places laugh

"You want to go where?"