You and I infer different takes on what occurred. Mine is that hypothermic stress triggered a cardiac event, not vice versa (hence, "secondary"). We may never know.

My reminder to all who hike in conditions that can lead to core temperature loss is that you may not recognize it occurring and not take needed steps to first halt then reverse it. In other words, a pack with all the necessary remedies and a lifetime of experience can still let you down. I'd guess Lori and other S&R folks could offer relevant examples of just this occurring. The runner who recently survived two nights in the American River canyon, clad in just shorts and a windbreaker, is a contra example.

I'm comfortable suggesting that as an esteemed outdoor advocate and educator, Ms. Sykes would want us to learn from her tragic fate.

Like most backcountry travelers and distance cyclists, I've experienced at least the early stage of hypothermia. I've also hiked with friends who progressed past the initial stage and required intervention (which, ironically, they sometimes resist). It's sneaky and not necessarily recognized, especially by the one affected; in short, you're no longer yourself.

A CPR card is only valid for a year because people forget what they don't actively do. I think at least some aspects of standard backcountry health and safety skill and knowledge can be similarly transitory. Reading this sad tale has me revisiting some long-ignored resources.