The first question is whether a thread on virtual hiking belongs on this forum. If the goal is to use it as a way to learn about backpacking, then I say yes.

I start most days with a 5 mile walk regardless of the weather. I've learned what clothes combinations work in conditions ranging from 12 below zero in snow to a 17 mile walk in temperatures over 100 degrees without water. I did carry water with me in case I needed it.

I've found road walking keeps me in shape for backpacking whether the distance is on the roads or measured around the house with a pedometer.

Right now, I'm 1022 miles into a 8,067 mile walk that touches all 48 contiguous states. It ends at the starting point.

Frequently, someone comes to this site and asks about walking across the United States. It is possible, because people have done it. Is it backpacking? That's debatable, but if the American Discovery Trail is backpacking, then so is a walk across the United States.

Yesterday, I discovered a website that creates an animated street view from Google Maps. It's an easy way to explore whether a route is feasible for a real walk. It's along route 318 in Nevada.

Animated Street View