May as well chime in with a little different perspective.

I did not "decide to backpack". I started mountaineering and rock climbing when I was 16 years old and after 45 years of climbing, my climbing partner hanging it up, I began backpacking to stay in the mountains. In the last 10 years I have expanded into coastal hiking and canyons.

Being in the high mountains is the most enjoyable to me as well as exploring nooks and crannies. I still enjoy the challenge of a good difficult route, but no longer technical climbing (too old to carry all that climbing gear).

Bears, particularly grizzlies, and mountain lions make me the most nervous. I solo a lot and am small so feel like I am a little treat for Grizzly bears.

Believe it or not, I struggle the most with simply getting out the door. Usually I have gear all packed, and still not decided where to go, and getting everything done with the house never ends - water the plants, clean, make arrangements for mail pick up, care of dog. Then there are the people obligations: check with my elderly Mom, check with the grown kids, etc. on and on! I have eight grandkids and am always in demand for last-minute babysitting. Cannot wait until I can rope the grandkids into going with me!

I really do not have any questions I continually ask myself. I am pretty focused when I am out.

I wish I had access to compatible backpack partners! My style is pretty crazy, off-trail and I am not keen on a lot of chit chat. I like to get up at the crack of dawn, hike hard, and use the later afternoon for exploring nooks and crannies. I also am pretty spontaneous (goes with my inability to get going so often I start a day late- I am retired so can do this!).

I too have difficulty in paring down my gear. I am currently "light" but always trying to go a little lighter. I also have to backpack on a budget so need to carefully consider the cost of every trip (particularly gas). It is that old saying - If you have lots of free time you probably do not have lots of money! Someone once said the "leisure class" consists of the retired, unemployed and bums with little income or the born wealthy.