Having lived in the Sierra for a number of years and having traveled back from the east coast at least a dozen times,I agree about their endless possibilities. Twice now I've had bad luck that kept me from making it to the Upper Kern River in Funston Meadow, so that remains on my bucket list. I had a trip into the Grand Canyon 2 weeks ago that was on the list and was perhaps the most satisfying and intriguing backpack I've ever done, bar none. Now walking the entire Tonto Trail is added to the list. I've enjoyed backpacks in the Canadian maritimes in the Chic-Choc mts. on the Gaspe' in Quebec, and on Cape Breton in Nova Scotia; they only whetted the appetite to make it to Gros Morne Park in Newfoundland. There are many other hikes I hope to do, but the Upper Kern (with a good friend from San Diego) another much more extensive trip into the GC, and Newfoundland are on the top of my list. Aimless, like you I set my sights well within N. America and thank God for economical cars and Southwest Airlines Get Away fares.

Edited by bluefish (04/22/14 09:27 PM)