Hello newbie backpackers. I'm posting because I would love to hear your opinion on an idea I have. I’m just looking for feedback at this point and if enough of it is positive, then I’ll start going down the road a little more. If the reviews are mixed, I'll need to go back and do some reviewing.

What I would like to create is a manual for people who are brand new to backpacking, and the purpose of the manual will be to:
  • Help new backpackers learn about gear details before they buy it.
  • Understand what the right equipment is for their needs, not just give them recommendations on the newest backpack or stove.
  • Provide a system to help keep track of the gear details and prices to make researching the equipment and purchasing it less of a time commitment.

I remember when I was starting to research and buy my equipment, I found myself spending a lot of time going through all sorts of sites and books looking for information that would help me learn about the right tent or sleeping pad to get and also needing a good way to keep track of all the details. Then I spent more time looking for sales or the best price on whatever it was I wanted. I believe a good, simple manual for new backpackers can help them save time, organize the info on gear they want, then help them buy it.

If you feel this would be a good resource for new backpackers that’s great, or if you don’t think it would be helpful or has already been done to the point where it doesn't need to happen again, that’s good to know as well. Like I mentioned, I’m only looking to validate an idea for the time being and it’s still early in my thinking about the product.

Reading through the New to backpacking - book recommendations thread has good resources and I have found some of those books useful myself, but sometimes those books have too much info, are too technical, or contain dated information.

Would love to hear your thoughts and let me know about any questions or if I can be clearer about the above.

Thanks,

Ryan

Edited by ryan54 (04/17/14 01:34 PM)