A one quart canning jar with the lid weighs 406 grams or 0.93 pounds. Many people carry a comfort item with them to address their biggest fears, and this weight could fall in that category.

A quart should be good enough for many hikes, but I'd carry spare water in a lightweight plastic bottle in case the glass one breaks.

A pint canning jar with the lid weighs 196 grams. If you are planning to cook in one, I'd suggest carrying a spare lid with a few little holes punched in it. I'd also suggest trying this outside at home and wearing safety glasses while trying it. I think you will find it takes too long to cook in glass, even if it does work.

If it's an overnight trip, consider carrying a good bit of water as fresh fruit and raw vegetables. Fruit and vegetables are about 70% water, and contain good energy, too. Be sure to pack out any part you don't eat. Eat these in the first part of the hike so you don't have to carry them too far.

Don't be afraid to experiment, as that's how people learn new things. Most experiments won't work, but that's important information, too. Then when you get old and gray, you can smile at the youngsters and tell them not to be afraid to experiment. Learning is a big part of the fun.