I've been in some howlers in the rockies, Especially above the treeline that can be kind of challenging. *usually* I have a little warning and ensure I get my tent or shelter into somewhere, well, sheltered.

Having done it a number of times it no longer scares me. let's
see, I've had:

- tent flattened, wrap up and wait it out. I didn't like that much. so..

- Get up middle of night and move tent 200 meters to big rocks, Carrying tent with all my stuff in it, keeping it dry. Because I wanted to have my stuff relatively dry, I stuffed everything I could stuff into my backpack, zipped my bag and everything into my tent, and did this buck naked except for my boots.. Nobody was around to see smile Got the world secured down again in the lee of the rock pile, and crawled back in and warmed up.

- Most recently, in New zealand, been pinned for three days worth of massive storm (that took out huts) - we hid in a cave/rock cleft.

now having said that I've had lots of times where I've ridden things out just fine, and with a really good rig, you can manage most anything. I've ridden out ones where the wind came at right angles and I was in my hammock where (with rockpiles on each tarp line because I knew it was coming) I've had the tarp (which was drum tight) occasionally blown all the way to against my hammock and had the wind rocking me back and forth like the dickens, honestly, it was great. I was confident everything would hold or I could fix it, and riding out the storm in comfort is a great feeling.

I also have a relatively light but very capable black diamond solo tent, that will take a lot more of a beating than most things. with it staked out with high support lines and rocks it can take anything that's thrown at it wind wise, and I've had some fun times in it in massive wind and thunderstorms.

So I suppose I'm far from a fair weather hiker, I actually even enjoy getting clobbered at night, I find it very relaxing to sit in my own little personal bit of comfort with a storm outside. Does that make me strange?

Browse my pictures