Working with a map to get coordinates makes you really look at the map. The more you look at the map the more familiar you become with the area. I hesitate to make a GPS coordinate list of a route. It enables less capable people to get in over their heads. I have seen way too many backpackers with their eyes glued to the GPS screen, not really looking at the terrain that they are traveling through.

Regardless of map generated or GPS generated, the most important skill in off-trail travel is "reading" the terrain! I often figure out a route using maps and Google Earth/maps and then when on the ground, I usually find a game trail or the best route by keenly observing my environment. The map simply keeps me on the general route.

I have carried air photos, taken advantage of a GPS (my husband has one and uses it), and used 7.5 minute topo maps. I prefer the maps. The GPS frustrates me because I simply do not like to view a tiny square that does not show well in sunlight, and then have to toggle back and forth to see a more extensive area. With a paper map it is all there in front of me. I have to admit that if one gets entirely lost the GPS does show your location.

Phat - I find the Canadian maps a bit less useful but then my Canadian maps are quite old. Are there now maps equivalent to the US 7.5 minute maps? If I did not have the USGS 7.5-minute topographic maps, I probably would use a GPS more often.