Quote:
The thing that sticks in my craw about this opinion when it's preached beyond your (westerners) area is that it feels very much like we're being told campfires are irresponsible and reckless and akin to dumping toxic waste in the pristine wilderness. And it's constantly preached beyond the Western States.

I've watched it move beyond necessity to a self declared more refined lifestyle that's now presented as if the unlearned destroy the Feng shui for the more cultured and refined backpacker because we haven't reached that higher plateau where the truly enlightened backpacker has learned to become one with the forest nights.

Sticking my neck out I will say "well said". Sometimes I really get that feeling and IMO a lot of it is simply the growing divide between liberal and conservative personalities having NOTHING to do with politics. I get the same feeling sometimes when I tell people I sleep in a tent. Well it seems its not "Chic" to carry a more or less self contained ground sleeping shelter...even if it weighs less than someone's tarp or hammock set up. Geez, get over it. I like to sleep on the ground. East, Midwest, West, North and South in this vast country have many inherent differences. We need to understand that what is right for one may not be so for the other.

Fires for me are very enjoyable if I have the time at the end of the day and am not tired enough to just hit the hay. On average I go without. On the other hand I respect the rules and regs. when elsewhere in the country. I would never think of having a fire during a dry spell be it East OR West. I will say if I'm going to have a fire out East here it will be in a pre designated AT fire ring or similar camp sight but that's just me. I do have a problem with fire rings left every where especially in no fire zones. That burns my *ss. (no pun intended) I don't want to see the remains of anyone's fire. If your practicing LNT than that is fine, I wont be seeing your fire remains anyway. Hopefully the OP will practice LNT, keep his fires to a minimum and disperse the remains properly when leaving his camp.

In closing, OM I have no doubt that your post was not intended to step on any toes and I think both you and Bill have given due respect to each other in your posts. goodjob

jimmyb