Bill, I apologize if my wording made you think I'm condemning campfires. Such was not my intention!

You noticed, I hope, that I prefaced my comments with IMHO--in my humble opinion, which is that of one person, me. Obviously there are as many other opinions out there as there are people to have them, which is just fine.

Even back east (for us, that's anything east of the Rockies, LOL), there are situations in which either fires are not allowed because of their long-term impact (there are strict altitude restrictions on fires in New Hampshire's White Mountains, for example), or all the wood is just too soggy to build one without considerable effort (happens out here, too, in our wet season), or there is high fire danger--droughts and forest fires occur in the East, too, just not as frequently. I have lived in and hiked in the East and Midwest (Pennsylvania and Michigan, mostly) and encountered all three situations at various times.

One of the Leave No Trace principles is "Minimize campfire impacts" (it does not say no fires!). In many areas there are, of course, a number of ways to do this without forgoing a fire, especially in low altitude damp forest. I just happen to feel that, for me, a fire is a lot more trouble than it's worth, even if I am where they are OK. I also far prefer backpacking in alpine areas, where fires are a no-no because of their long-lasting impact, to low altitude forest where fires are normally OK outside of the fire danger season.

My whole purpose in stating why I don't have campfires was simply to point out to the OP, who apparently believes it essential to dry out by a fire every night, that it's quite possible to get along without a campfire, and I described some of the techniques to use. I was not trying to admonish anyone, and I'm truly sorry you took it that way.

I do believe (and that's my opinion) that a campfire should be a luxury. If people want to and can indulge in one every night, that's fine. I indulge in quite a few luxuries (although not a fire) myself! My point is that we shouldn't have to depend on a fire for daily survival. For example, in my experience it's far better to strip off wet clothing and get promptly into a dry sleeping bag to stay warm than to wander around in the rain shivering trying to find something that will burn after a cloudburst! (Been there, done that, don't recommend it!)

Again, I'm not condemning all fires, just stating that it's quite possible and also a good idea to be able to do without one if necessary.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/08/14 02:31 AM)