Have a look at list in my signature, and look up lists on this site.

Short answer - synthetics.

Slightly longer answer:

I normally (outside of serious weather) wear synthetic underwear, synthetic pants, and a synthetic shirt. I sweat while I hike, and I might get wet. rainy weather I have a shell on, and maybe a fleece - I'm usually more concerned about being *cold* than wet.

Now my pants are nice high end schoeller fabric - but I'm a princess. a nice pair of nylon pants from the thrift store will also work fine - polyester dress pants are actually good if you can get a good fit.

Most of my "keep it dry and warm" stuff is wool. often merino. but well, I hike a lot and I can afford it. You can do very well
with synthetic (fleece) warm layers or nice cheap wool sweaters from the thrift store.

Note, if I get wet while walking, that's fine. I keep walking, and stay warm, either by moving, or putting on a shell and fleece. once I stop, I put up my shelter, get into enough dry stuff to be comfortable. I may hang out my pants and socks at night to get some dry on them, but this sometimes mean I get to put on cold icky wet stuff in the morning, which is unpleasant for the first few minutes until I start moving around. Normally it's enough for me to do that.

It also helps if you have a good sleeping bag. You should be able to get into your bag, cold, and warm up smile
Browse my pictures