You have some interesting friends....It sounds to me like you need to do more solo/group hiking instead of group/group hiking. I just made those terms up, but what they mean is...
Solo/group is when you are with a group, but all gear is done solo. You bring your own everything and don't share anything, but still hike as a group. An even looser interpretation is that you all meet at certain points in the hike, like lunch or camp and kinda just hang out with each other, but are free to do what you want.
Group/group is when you are always with the group, never split up, and share equipment.
There are benefits and drawbacks to both. The group/group only works with a leader though. Someone has to make final decisions and make sure everyone is pulling their own weight. If there is no leader, then solo/group is a really good alternative.

If your tent didn't come with a fly, then it is a single wall tent and doesn't need one. Have you tested it in the rain? You can set it up in your yard and use the hose too. If it leaks and needs a fly, but doesn't have one...then time to ditch it. A single wall, somewhat waterproof tent, with a tarp over it is probably going to be a condensation monster. Might as well have the same tarp with a net-only tent instead. Like this one.. meteor bivy
or this one... Ray Jardine net tent

As far as fire goes...I like fire, but not enough to do too much work. If there is no fire ban, and others in my group want one, I make them do it all. Sometimes I might contribute a bit of wood, but if they are burning through it...I am not collecting it.
When I am with my scouts, I make them do all the gathering. But, sometimes I go out and show them how easy it is to get dry wood. Then if I have to start the fire...I throw all the wood on it, making them have to go back and get more...I am mean like that. smile Of course, with scouts I am trying to teach them life principles.
Also, for safety, I always plan to not have a fire. If you can't walk into camp soaking wet and cold, and then set up camp and get dry and warm without a fire, you really need to rethink your gear choices. Fire should always be a luxury, not a necessity.