Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
Best tarp on the market! I have the Tadpole version.

I've carried mine with the tent just have somewhere hang out in event of rain. 10oz tarp isn't big enough fuss for me to be a weight weenie about it. This tarp served as my hammock tarp and general utility tarp when I'm hiking with someone so we can cook under the rain together, and just mellow out before we go to sleep in our own tents. When I'm soloing I'll ditch the tarp altogether and just stick to my tent, unless I'm hammock camping in which case I'll need the tarp. grin

You should look into tents that has a fast fly feature. Where you can ditch the tent body, and use ground cloth and rain fly as shelter. My Big Agnes has this feature. I've never backpacked like this because, well, I detest bugs...

Thanks for the link, as I'm looking for a tarp upgrade.
I think very much like you do. I do fast pitch my BA in cooler weather. It rocks! Bug protection in the Adirondacks is a must in warmer weather. I never set my tent or tarp near fire, popping sap pockets send embers long distances and I don't need drain holes in my fly or tarp. Swizzle, you might consider using some of the numerous ADK shelters. Even if someone is camped inside them, you can still cook in the rain under shelter. Saves a lot of hassle hauling in tarps and such. I've never used a tent heater, with the exception of candle lanterns, and that was sub-zero. I'd seriously re-consider your sleep and shelter system to fit the conditions you wish to hike in and not rely on fire to keep you comfortable. A lot of the campsites I've used in the daks were stripped of firewood by mid-summer, unless you want to practice rape and pillage and burn instead of Leave No Trace.
Many do, I know you don't.