Oh, and normally, if I have a fire I normally don't pitch anything anywhere near it. I'm not averse to having a fire if there is time, and it's appropriate. but most places I go It's either not allowed, or it's a sensitive enough area that I won't do it on LNT principles.

However talking to us as someone who obviously spends a lot of time in camp, you may find our attitude towards smaller lighter shelters a bit strange - but most of the time when I am out I get up with the sun, and I walk pretty much *all day* - but bear in mind I'm hardly "ultralight" - my pack for a weekender in the rockies will weigh about 13-15 pounds starting on the trail with two days food and a litre of water in it. And that's why I like to walk all day. I stop and camp at the *end* of the day, make and eat my dinner, and sleep. I don't spend a lot of time in camp, so I don't like to bring along a lot of camp.

it does become kind of a chicken and egg thing if you're not used to that though. If you spend half your time in camp, you want to take more stuff.. you take more stuff.. your pack is heavy.. your pack is heavy, it hurts, you stop earlier, you spend more time in camp smile Vicious circle. smile

Browse my pictures