Quote:
I am quite burnt out with my job. On the verge of walking out without having another in place

I have never hesitated to quit working anywhere that didn't appreciate me, or if I just felt like moving on. I have always held that I work for me.

After living in cities for about 22 years I finally decided to move to the mountains, and I did.

It took me a few years to get here, there were some unexpected sidetracks along the way, but all my work from that point on was towards that goal.

Most everyone told me I was making a huge mistake. That I'd be back. That'd I'd miss the city and be bored to death. That I'd never find work or earn enough to live on.

But I kept thinking, I've been to places I'd like to live, and people live there, and they make a living, and they seem happy enough to me. That made more sense to me, so I ignored what most everyone told me.

I'm not giving you advice or encouraging you to quit your job, but I'll tell you the same thing my father used to tell me, which was handed down by his father, and so on:

"The only thing that's stopping you is the fear in your heart and the lead in your ass."

Making a big change is never easy but I've always considered those words when I've thought about things like quitting a job or moving someplace else. They have empowered me because they shift any blame onto me and I know that's truly where it belongs.

As a result I've quit quite a few jobs and I've moved quite a few times. Life has gotten better each time. It's been good here for a long time.

Anyway, you lose the fear after a bit and then you know that's all there ever was stopping you. At that point quitting a sucky job and moving some place you like is pretty easy.

"You want to go where?"