Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

I will give advice when asked, but I definitely won't offer it unasked, mostly because information not asked for isn't wanted. I always smile and say "Hi" when meeting someone on the trail, and if they act friendly I may comment on the lovely day (if the weather is good) or the beautiful view. Admittedly, sometimes I have to clench my teeth really hard to avoid mentioning an enormous heavy pack or, at the opposite extreme, the complete lack of pack, wraps, water or other "essentials."

This is exactly what I do. I'll acknowledge people on the trail, however, I won't mention anything about gears, the trail, etc., unless asked.

Edit: why do I sense deja vu?

The big difference is that the hiking group is intended to be a place to meet other hikers and go hiking with them.

I have had to carry gear for others to get someone out of a place they got themselves to - and then had their knee fail.

The ability to judge for yourself what you need is poor at best. You don't leave someone to founder - one of the top reasons for searches is a foundering group member either insists on going back alone, or gets separated and then the group ends up reporting them missing.

If no one suggests to the person at the start that they have too much stuff for a single night, guess who either 1) hikes sloooooooowly back with the person and is delayed and misses sleep, work or both or 2) carries cr@p someone else imagined they needed.

Most of us screen backpackers who join us for the first time, these days. But people LIE. It's not frequent but it can happen.

http://hikeandbackpack.com