Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
These type of people you are talking of- I would just black-list them from further trips. I think this is the problem with internet "meet-up" groups. When you are within an organized group (Sierra Club, CMC, etc) there is a weeding-out process so this type of person does not even become a member.
[snip]

If they simply want someone to guide them, then they should hire a commercial guide. If they do not want to participate in a group, why in the world do they join a group hike?

Expecting irrational people to be predictable - I used to do that.

Meetup groups are actually much simpler if the organizer has the fortitude to simply throw people out. Not many do. I have been tossing out the obvious loons but it isn't obvious who is a loon or an unsafe person right away. Social groups don't really need any reason to not want to socialize with someone... but it helps with group cohesion to have a reason. If you throw them out without an obvious reason, the rest of the group starts to think you are merely having temper tantrums or are unbalanced somehow.

Sheeple make up the majority of these groups - don't want to do the research themselves. The disturbing thing is the non Sheeple, non rational ones who are going to get themselves or some SAR volunteer hurt.

http://hikeandbackpack.com