These type of people you are talking of- I would just black-list them from further trips. I think this is the problem with internet "meet-up" groups. When you are within an organized group (Sierra Club, CMC, etc) there is a weeding-out process so this type of person does not even become a member.

Just a suggestion, but I would make a priority list. What attitudes or actions are simply not acceptable, due to safety. Some may not agree, but I see safety as Number 1. There are not "second chances" for severe safety violations.

Environmental behavior has to be learned, and for the most part, I more try repeated teaching, and eventually most come around. If they are still environmental slobs after half a year, they are off my list.

I believe in strong leadership. And those who do not want to follow are also off my list. I think accepting leadership and being a good follower is paramount for newbie's safety. On the other hand, as they learn some skills, they should be allowed periods to practice leadership themselves.

But I feel getting in arguments about backpacking "style" is counterproductive. There are many styles that I do not like but that does not make them "wrong". I just make it clear that my trip is my style. They are free to find someone else's trip that fits their style. If they want to bring their boom-box, then they simply need to find someone else to go with. If they do go with me, I make a real effort to show them that they can have a very fulfilling experience without the boom box.

Group dynamics are complicated. When I was teaching at NOLS, we spent almost a month with each group to teach group dynamics - and it took that long before it sank in! After the first two days, we would make a "back-out" offer - leave at this time, get all your money back, plus a free plane ticket home, if you do not want to get with the program. But, if you stay, it is a contract between student and instructors, and not participating is NOT an option. We rarely had anyone leave and after a lot of hard work, almost everyone was onboard with the concept of "expedition behavior" by mid-course. Unfortunately, with a 2 day trip and new people each trip you do not have the chance to mold group cohesion.

If they simply want someone to guide them, then they should hire a commercial guide. If they do not want to participate in a group, why in the world do they join a group hike?