I think there are at least two different issues here. One of them is our "expert" frustration with newbies who either won't take our advice or won't ask for it even though they need it. I have the same issue in another part of my life--I teach wine classes. It's amazing how many people want to know about wine, but don't actually want to do the work to learn the topic. And wine is, in my opinion, far more complicated than backpacking!

But in that case I am a paid teacher. In twenty years I have expelled only one student, although I have reprimanded many. And I am getting paid for it. My job is to try and reach each student and turn on the light. Having said that....

Everyone learns in different ways and at different speeds. If you envision yourself as educating a group, you simply have to get used to the idea that some people are going to fight you every step of the way--because that's the way they learn. The learn by arguing, and then being proven wrong. Working with them is part of being a teacher. And it's usually not the fun part!

But that brings us to the second topic. Because if you are a volunteer leader of a hiking group, there is a great deal of ambiguity about your role. Are you the teacher, or simply the facilitator? Are you the leader, or simply one of the group who has organizational skills? Or just a "senior" member of the team?

My suggestion is that most of the problems you are encountering could be mitigated by having a much more extensive pre-hike orientation/conditions statement. I know you are trying to help people get involved with backpacking...but I also know that when you are dealing with the public, setting expectations is a key part of fulfilling promises.

So before you ever sign someone up, make sure that they understand your philosophy about hiking, your role on the hike, and their expectations for participation. Make it clear that these are the conditions...and you will understand if they choose note to participate because of them--just as you hope they will understand if you ban them for not accepting the conditions.

And know that you will still get a few whackos along. We're people. It's what we do!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963