When I started mountain biking I was riding alone every day just trying enjoy myself. I met group of guys at the parking lot that was riding at same time as I would be there, and they turned me into a mountain biking trail jedi!

Anyway, some guys from that group is what started getting me into backpacking, and I got my gear advice (and acquisition) mostly from here. smile Those two guys from biking group taught me how to use them and also shared their experiences with the Smokies. I was really fortunate enough to have their hands on guidance. I'm 24 years old and I'm still learning new things every time I go out or read from one of you guys. Such as minimizing my risks and being comfortable with what I got as well as your own perspective in regard to gears you uses. The trip is what it's all about, but way we share our experience with things is just as good sometimes. If that make sense?

I feel good about my safety in this area, but should I venture west is where I'd get nervous without someone else experience due to the elevation and the fact it another ball game compare to what we got here in the east. I'll climb that mountain when the time comes. grin

Edited by ETSU Pride (02/26/14 08:52 AM)