This is an interesting subject, and I feel for you Lori.

I'd say no too. I'd temper it by saying once they get a few more trips under their belt they might be ready for one like you're planning, but if you don't feel they're ready, don't take them, and I'd tell them that if they pushed it.

Dreams and enthusiasm are no substitute for experience and skill despite what advertisers say, and it sounds like that's what you're dealing with. Ten miles a day on rough, steep, mountain trails while lugging a pack is hard. That's no trip for a noob and you'll end up getting blamed for whatever discomforts them.

I think you might be better off leading only short, easy, "Get to know your gear and learn some skills" kind of trips. One or two nighters at most and let those who want to go further and stay longer after that plan their own trips.

Keep the longer, more experienced needed, trips for you and your friends so you can enjoy them.

If you make some friends that start out as noobs in your classes and work their own way up to that level that would be great, but if they really just want you to babysit them on these trips so they can go back to their friends with bragging rights you should be getting guide pay for that.

If they don't know they're not ready for a 30 mile 3-day trip I wouldn't want to be with them anywhere past the 5 mile mark, and I really wouldn't want to be near them on day 2 or 3. That's the point where they'll be thinking to themselves "If I hurt myself now they'll get a helicopter to fly me out".... cry

"You want to go where?"