My pet peeve are those who are not willing to do their homework. Questions like, "I have 4 days and want to backpack in the west". Or "I am doing the JMT and want a trip plan". Planning the trip is a critical phase in orienting yourself to the terrain you will travel. You really need to stare at the maps, imagine, calculate miles, calculate elevation gains, figure out water sources. Everyone wants a formula or trip plan already done for them, from someone on the internet.

Since I am a parent and grandparent I have seen the changes in child rearing over the years. I think we really coddle our kids nowadays and do too much for them. Plus they are taught that anything is OK, 70% correct is fine, everyone gets a prize. I suspect that a lot of what you are experiencing is the result of that.

It is also a shame that the usual groups that taught outdoor skills are dwindling. And the young people do not want to submit to a group. Too much me-ism. And the legal liability has pretty much shot a hole in many groups' willingness to teach. I started climbing when I was 16 years old and took "mountain school" from the Spokane Mountaineers, and was under the wings of many mentors for all my younger years. I wish everyone could have that experience.

And then there is the glorification of stupidity that reality TV has brought to us. PS - I gave up TV 40 years ago and never watch it. When I visit my kids and see the reality TV they are watching it makes me cringe.

I think that we sometimes are too eager to answer every stupid question posted on forums, because, we really want to show how experienced we are. And nobody wants to be a nay-sayer. I think there are ways to still encourage newbies to try backpacking without approving of their inadequate ideas and plans. I agree many times we need to respectfully say "no" but not discourage them from their enthusiasm.

I suspect some stupid posts are people who just want to see how and if anybody responds. I rather not give them much of my time. They are just playing with us.