Quote:
The percentage of the population that has grown up in cities with little or no contact with the backcountry is extremely high and getting higher.

Add to that the generation of the entitled and you have a perfect storm. Many young adults, and I use that term loosely, have been coddled and parented with the "I'm my kids friend more than I'm my kids parent" style of up bringing. They learn nothing that way and rarely understand the value of experience nor give those with it there due respect. IMO this is failure of parenting but none the less that is exactly what you are dealing with. And it isn't getting any better.

I'm 100% for planting the seeds to grow the hobbies I'm involved with. For example I have trained plenty of folks in competitive HP rifle but most of these people because of the investments in equipment were more my age or at least 30ish. Still I was pretty selective as to who I would lend my time to especially because we were dealing with firearms. I took some time evaluating folks that I would offer some training to. I looked for folks that were eager to learn, understood the commitment and most important could follow instruction ie. "LISTEN".

I don't envy your position and I don't want to sound like a bad guy but I would sooner wait for someone who really wanted the help and who would flourish with it then spend it on someone who would waste it. Time is a finite quantity here and I believe in spending it wisely.

As for helping folks over the net I do that more for myself as it makes me feel good. I have no control nor do I care if folks actually take my advise. I take It for granted that they truly need the help or another point of view and I'm willing to give it. On the sailing site I am a part of we have a fantastic group of folks that will go above and beyond to help others. Very much like here there are NO egos, just a wealth of knowledge for newbies to have for the asking. If they are not polite with there online attitudes I will pass over their posts. Remember though sites like these are more the exception and should be cherished by the experienced and newbies alike.

Good luck with your newbie issues, I wish you luck finding folks that will appreciate your valuable time and efforts.

jimmyb