Hello,

I am not sure how to title this post but I had a discussion this evening with my new hiking friend about is refusal to purchase Rain Jacket and Pants.

Some history is he has gone on numerous dayhikes for the last several years with a local hiking group in my city. I've seen the pictures listed on the their website of trips everything from Mailbox Peak to Gothic Basin and far between. The former is hard-core *&^%$# and in ALL that time he has never packed nor worn rain clothing.

Another thing is he and others in the group commonly wear cotton Jeans. :>)

So he & I are doing a Day-hike tomorrow morning below deep snow levels (less then 6") i.e., low elevation. Last night over dinner we casually discussed looking for CHEAP Rain Pants for him. His Jacket for rain is a heavy duty insulated Hille Finger Parka that I don't think he's ever worn for Day-Hiking but hey he's willing to pack it.

I went out today and shopped at REI and bought two pairs of WP pants one by Colombia and other a PreCip knockoff with ankle zips. When I told him about my good finds he said, "$50.00"! And then he tells me that he's never worn Rain Pants ever and he really believes that since he has Never been caught out in Wilderness when it's pouring rain that he has no use for carrying a pair of cheap rain pants.

Oh and he's wearing cotton jeans tomorrow too. My God.....

Two years ago I got on of my best friends who expressed an interest in doing really EASY Day-Hikes with me into getting properly geared up. I did all the research and together we got him all the Ten Essentials for low bucks. And our 1st day hike at the end of August an easy no gain 4-miler on the hike out from the lake we both got chilled. Out came the PS150 Gloves, Miro-fleece hats, PL1 pullovers, etc. And in minutes we were both comfy.

How do I educate my new friend and be nice about it? :>)

In the end there is nothing I can do. He told me he wants to do some Backpacking this Summer too....but he's too cheap to spend $50.00 on a pair of H2o pants. I quess there is always Craigslist for gear.

So I'm packing a UL stove setup for tomorrow brew up some tea and/or cocoa maybe soup and taking a Sil Tarp. He'll have his choice of three different Daypacks of mine to choose from and an assortment of Xtra gloves and hats.

Edited by phat (02/22/14 02:57 AM)