Bluefish,
My fastest footwear for road walking is a pair of heavy Red Wing 8 inch boots.I didn't mention them as they are totally unsuitable for backpacking. They are heavy and don't grip well on trails. The heels wear rapidly, but I keep them covered with Gorilla tape to prevent that.

Soft skin comes from inside, not outside. Poisons are eliminated from the body in four ways. Urine, Feces, air in the lungs and through the skin. It can also be stored in fat and in the liver to be released later when the body decides it can handle it.

I'm somewhat evangelical about a vegan diet, so I'd rather refer you to one of the best books I've read on the subject: "The Itinerary of a Breakfast" by John Kellogg. It was written in the early 1900's after he studied over 100,000 patients. You can get it for 99 cents on Amazon for your Kindle, or you can read it for free online at www.archive.org.

The book also gives a cure to constipation which over 90% of the population has even though most don't know it.

The only downside to being vegan is apparently I would taste better to cannibals.