Gershon, thanks for the in depth answer. You're absolutely right- the problem is complex and can have a number of solutions. I wear the Keen's exactly as you said - for the wide toe box. Danner does make phenomenal boots. The one pair of boots that does not bother me are my Wolverine work boots. If they weren't steel toes, I'd just wear them. We eat fairly healthily, though we aren't vegetarians. I use Smart Wools and a sock that is called the World's Softest Sock, which seems to be a synthetic that mimics Merino or Alpaca. I may try some moisturizers to add some elasticity back to my skin, and at worst I may just buy a pair of those Danners. I have a pair of high backpackers that have been through 3 re-soles. I still have them, but alas my feet grew and they didn't. I can only wear them with a liner sock now. They also have very little cushioning, and no room for an insole, which does not seem to be good for my knees. I wore my Keens yesterday snowshoeing and locked my heels down with the laces.
Though the moleskin helped, no further damage was done and I felt no pain. If I go back to a higher boot that locks my heel down, the problem will be solved, I think. I may avoid putting long distances on my Sorels- they're warm, but not meant for long walks with your feet slipping up and down inside the liners. Between all the your suggestions, Gershon, a solution is to be found. Thanks, much! I appreciate your knowledge and the effort in replying.