We've ( 2 adults and 4 yr old) generally only been going on weekend camping forays. SWMBO makes a lot of our dehydrated foods and packs it in.

We've been talking about a potential 30 day hike (all 3 of us) down a good trail, likely the AT. From what little I understand is that it's fairly easy to mail yourself packages of supplies ahead of time to PO's along the way.

Considering this, as well as the desire to bathe and wash clothes so we don't need much, the idea of a once a week stop into a town along the way sounds great. Get a room, clean up, and walk to the PO to pick up your stuff.

The Osprey daypack (Daylite 13 lit) pack sounds like an option for lugging the stuff back to the room and any stops to a grocery store for any other needs, but I'm afraid that 13 liters of capacity will be far too short for 2.5 people.

We will be replacing SWMBO's pack before we got this far, and so the idea of an Osprey pack and a Daylite pack would then double this ability. But I'm unsure of what a typical dehydrated food stuff and granola bars kind of diet would actually require as far s space. I just kinda estimated a day's worth of food would take up about 3 liters. Therefore a Daylite pack would handle 4.3 days of food.

And then I think of just rolling up my simple normal backpack and finding room to stuff it somewhere. I'd guess it's 20 something liters...

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day