SWMBO trying on the packs for fit is a given. Although I did just such and thought the Deuter pack was a little more comfortable, but for capacity I still chose the Osprey pack. But that's me.

I'm curious why you wouldn't choose a pack offered at REI OM? I see you mention a short torso, which was my problem that narrowed my choices considerably. Another I see i the weight, though I'm not certain what capacity you are looking at with a ~2 lb pack. It seems it would be rather small.

Osprey had 2 packs in the list, but I know they have a great reputation, which is part of why I chose the pack I did (though my choices were quite limited). There weren't any Deuter packs I noticed in the 50-60 liter capacity unless they were over 4.5 lbs.

Down here in Texas (San Antonio) there's not much for camping gear oriented stores. We do have outdoors places such as BassPro and Academy, but they aren't as specialized as REI. It seems our best bet.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day