I do brew beer every now and then, but I've got a full plate when it comes to hobbies. I really like the beer I brew though, I have to admit I'd like to brew more.

As it turned out, the week after I bought those last skunky 6-packs a local micro brewery, Springfield Brewing Company, started shipping 6-packs of bottles to local distributors, so I can now buy "Pales Pale Ale" at two of my nearby stores. That's really good beer. I'm sure it's still just local, but if you ever get the chance to taste one, do.

The thing is, I really enjoy tasting new beers, but it sucks when you buy a 6-pack of beer that's really not good at all. Fancy art and descriptions on beer labels don't impress me. Taste matters.

This isn't just an opinion or a difference of taste I'm speaking of though, it's bad beer. We can have different opinions on the balance between malts and hops but, like rancid meat, when it's bad you know it.

Some people might like the taste of cheap hops, or even bad hops. Some people like Hills Brothers coffee. I'm not offended or worried by that. I know people that grew up with it and don't like anything else. But when you sell me beer at a premium price and tell me it's hopped with premium quality Cascade and Centennial Hops, I want good hops. I paid for them and I know what they taste like.

That's the kind of problem I'm describing, but there's also a problem of inconsistency. All beers have batch numbers though, so knowing that could be really helpful too.

There are a zillion new beers out there every year. Some of them rely solely on slick looking labels to sell them and they are filled with cheap beer. Coffee is a lot like this. Cheaply made beer can be very bold tasting just like Hills Brothers coffee can be very strong, but it's just strong cheap coffee.

I don't want to imply that I'm a beer know it all. I'm not, and of course everyone's taste is different. That's why I think it'd be a good thing to have an app that can tell you if a majority of users don't like a beer and why, or that they do like a beer, and why. Maybe you could tilt the ratings you'd get by finding people with taste similar to yours and giving them more weight in your ratings.

SkunkyBeer.com may not be the best name, but it's kind of cute. What I'd like is an app that can tell me if a beer is just bad, iffy, or almost always good. One thing is for sure, I'm tired of buying bad beer and bad coffee. sick cry

"You want to go where?"