Since you're "just looking for validation aid in nullifying fears", I'm going to take the liberty of replying without reading the many responses you've already had. Perhaps pointless this far in, but just in case ...

I've spent many months of continuous backpacking in a number of different states, and beyond just "what I think I know" is the sort of tribal knowledge of long distance hikers in general. That's a culture I know pretty well. I think it's near universal that folks find that the longer they spend on trail, the less they worry about bears.

Doesn't mean people are foolish enough to think that there's no risk, but that if you learn the basics of bear behavior (which btw varies by locale and species), the odds really are in your favor relative to other risks. After enough such time in the woods my sense of "what is dangerous" now better matches what actually is dangerous (driving or walking along roads, substantial water crossings, other people in limited contexts, and/or doing something dumb that leads to hypthermia or injury).

The other thing I'd say about bear-related deaths is that not only are the numbers pretty low, but they're even lower if you go in and pull out the kinds of situations that don't apply to a normal (and prudent, informed) backpacker; for example, situations involving bear hunters. The stats for backpackers are really quite good; much better chance of an early death due to inactivity from staying indoors to be safe from bears! :-)