The truth is the dangers of backpacking are way overblown. Movies and TV shows are obviously among the worst culprits of vastly exaggerating the dangers, which in truth are almost nonexistent for experienced backpackers.

I don't know enough to talk about Grizzly Bears, so my thoughts here are only about Black Bears.

I'll preface by letting you know that I backpack off trail a lot, much of it solo, and where black bears are known to be. I've overcome my fear of them and I'll explain how.

We know our fears are often irrational so that's the real issue you have to deal with. To allay our fears, even irrational ones, we have to be proactively rational. By that I mean we have to work at it.

In the case of black bears being proactive starts with preventing encounters first. The first thing you might want to do is call the Park Rangers where you'll be backpacking and ask if there have been any issues with bears there recently. If they tell you "No", than you know right up front that the bears in the area are well behaved and you'll not have any trouble.

Beyond that we all know being proactive in avoiding bears means taking care of your food and the scents they leave, there are lot's of sources of info on doing that, and making sure you give bears plenty of opportunities to know you're there. Using bear bells and making some noise vocally such as a shout out now and then works incredibly good at letting bears know you're around and giving them time to avoid you. From there you want to avoid sticking your nose into places where bears like to hide or bed down. Just doing these simple things will decrease your odds to almost no chance of even seeing bear.

So, now that you've already done a lot to avoid an encounter, you want to be comfortable with knowing that you've fully prepared yourself for an encounter and if a bear does come into your realm or you stumble into theirs you're ready and determined to deal with it.

Here's what I've learned about dealing with Black Bears. First off, carry some good backcountry bear spray with you. Keep it handy at all times. It works. Buck up and buy some to practice with so you know how it works (gain the experience) and then bring a fresh can with you on your trips.

In the case of black bears you don't want to get into a fight, so plan to back off if the bear is determined, but make sure the bear knows you'll fight if you have to. If it charges stand your ground, raise your arms, show your teeth, look as big and mean as you can and growl at the bear as loud and mean as you can. The bear will probably stop short and snort at you, then leave or go back to whatever it was interested in when it arrived. Most likely that'd be your food. That's when you want to make some noise to scare the bear off. Most likely the bear will leave but if the bear charges you again repeat the process of showing the bear you'll fight if it attacks. If the bear is hungry enough to stand its ground over your food let it have it. Keep backing off slowly until your a safe distance away.

If the bear does not stop and snort at you, which is a bears way saying "Get away or I'll kick your ass.", but keeps coming instead to kick your ass directly, spray it good right in the face. Try to get that spray right in the bear's nose and eyes, but especially that nose. Aim right for the nostrils and don't stop spraying until the bear stops charging. If the bear gets close enough to you be prepared to punch it in the nose as hard as you can. If you can grab a rock to smash its nose with do it. Keep trying to get the spray in the nose and eyes if you can. If the bear knocks you down fight like a banshee and kick, punch, and claw like mad and if it doesn't back off and has the upper hand in the contest play dead. Curl up, cover your head with your hands and arms and don't move. Let the bear win. Odds are it will go finish your food off and then leave.

Just knowing that you've done what you can for prevention and are ready to deal with an encounter will help allay your fears. From there it's your real life experience you want to lean on.

If irrational fears come to the forefront of your thoughts then you need to make a conscience effort to refocus your thoughts on all your experience and the reality that you've never seen, or seldom ever see a bear, never had a bad encounter with a bear, and have to no good reason to believe you will presently, and redetermine that you're going to enjoy yourself, not wallow in the fear.

While you're doing that distract yourself some more by making a cup of tea or something that you enjoy while relaxing and then focus on relaxing and enjoying it.

After a bit the fear will fade away and the reality of your experience stays in the forefront of your conscience and you feel comfortable with your situation.

I hope this helps some.

"You want to go where?"