Quote:
My only real ongoing problem that surgery did not correct, is that I need to wear shoes with a wide toebox. The only brand that really works for me is Keens, unfortunately, because I don't otherwise think they are especially durable and wellmade. (If anyone with similar problems has a suggestion of another brand, I'd be interested to hear of it.).

I too need a wide toebox, or alternatively similar surgery on the little-toe side (bunionettes).
I used to use Golite shoes but they slightly changed them a few years ago so I switched to Asics. I've since hiked 3000 or so miles in Asics Gel Kahana shoes, longer than my nominal shoe size and in EE width and they've been excellent. The current models at least look like they should be about as wide (models sadly change often).

They also hold up well. On long trips I'm pretty firm about replacing shoes every 500 - 600 miles, 700 at the outside, and unlike the Golites, it bugged me to throw these out after such mileage; apart from a minor bit of rubber that always falls off the back after a couple hundred miles (not something really important) these are quite durable. Hiking through New Mexico with another fellow, when I got my replacement shoes in the mail he opted to take my old shoes as superior to what he was wearing at the time.

I make no guarantee these would work well for you (!). Feet are complicated and highly individual, but at least it sounds like we have similar needs here. Best of luck!