Malt-o-meal is about 2/3 the volume of oatmeal, for the same calories. Couscous about half the volume of noodles. If using a bear can, volume/calorie makes a difference. Also, non-instant stuff is a 2:1 cooked vs.dry ratio whereas non-instant is generally a 3:1 ratio. Much non-instant grains actually cook quite well with a 1-2 minute boil with a 10-minute rest in a pot cozy.

I get 9 days food in my Bearikade Weekender (2500 calories per day, 35-40% "good" fats). BUT, that requires all dry food to have a texture that packs well, and of course, re-packing all food loosely in plastic bags. This is why I do not take Ramen noodles. They really take a lot of space. Gorp packs down better than trail bars. You can make up a million different versions of Gorp for variety- sweet, spicy, salty, fruity. Just be sure everything in it is calorie dense with minimal volume. Olive oil has been a great way to get calories with little volume. I put it in everything.

I "cheat" a little by leaving out the non-essentials- like my spice kit. If a bear were to get my spice kit, they would not get much caloric reward, and I would not loose much except variety of flavoring for my food. Same with tea and coffee.

Sitting here smelling the pot roast in the oven and sipping wine, the above does not sound appealing, but honestly, when I am out the food limitations due to packing issues have never been a problem.