Quote:
When I go solo I just soak up the forest. The Japanese actually have a term for this, they call it “Shinrin-yoku ” or "Forest bathing". That's what I love most about going solo, I just immerse myself completely in the forest experience and I feel perfectly comfortable there. It does make me feel better too. I've made that connection since I was a little kid.

When backpacking with friends I still get to soak up the forest but that's not my main focus. I focus more on the companionship and adventure. Depending on who's all along this can be more stressful than day to day living but it can also be a lot of fun and result in great stories to tell, and I do sometimes really love those adventures.

I also love the idea of being self contained, completely free, and closer to the earth as it was intended to be experienced. I know none of that is entirely true, but there are bits of truth in it that are worth searching for and I find them most every time I go backpacking.

from billstephenson on the previous page

This is pretty much my experience too. I love that feeling of simplicity and self sufficiency that backpacking (particularly solo cross-country) gives you. The added bonus is that (for me) backpacking strips life down to the real and essential aspects of life; none of this extra baggage we pile on in our modern life (except for that SPOT my wife has me carry...). I come back refreshed, refocused, and ready to deal with the man made environment we live in.

Bill! I see you've gone (Mr) Natural! Hope Lewis and Clark are still doing well, along with the rest of the family of course.

Edited by skcreidc (12/06/13 12:46 PM)