For me, the best part is the lack of structure. I spend my working life on a very rigid schedule, in a fairly disciplined, organized profession. When I hike, there are no schedules: no set number of miles to cover, no specified procedure as to how I hike them, no specific meal times, and no record keeping.

Beyond that, I like the physical act of hiking. I don't mean that I have to challenge myself, or constantly push to get better. I simply enjoy the good, clean feeling of putting one foot in front of the other, until I decide to stop for awhile. It gives my mind a chance to turn completely off, if that's what I want, or I can think about something uninterrupted. I have the luxury of unstructured time.

Cooking is not a big priority, though I do enjoy my meals. Somehow, things taste better outdoors - even freeze-dried food, eaten from the bag. Oatmeal, which I really don't eat often at home, becomes an anticipated morning ritual, along with hot tea (which I almost never have at home - coffee, on the other hand, is something I always enjoy at home and never take camping.)

Another great part, as others have said, is sleeping out in the woods. That little tent becomes a beckoning haven, and snuggling into that warm down bag and pulling the hood around my head is soothing and restful.

The common thread in all of this is, I suppose, simplicity. It becomes an antidote to an otherwise complicated life, and refreshes my soul when it becomes stale.