Hello guys, hope all has been well. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to do any hiking and aside from my single first trip, been stuck at work, doing chores, or simply too broke to travel.

I have a friend who will be visiting her family here the week before Christmas in my home town in Cullman, Alabama. She’s from Washington State. My long term goal is to spend a week in her backyard next year backpacking. During her visit here, she wants to do a single night of car camping, or something with a short walk in. She will not have any gear with her since it’s much too expensive to mail back and forth for only a single day in the woods.

Can anyone recommend a good place to go within a cpl hours of Cullman which might offer at least some sort of scenic value? I’m trying to stay out of the typical campgrounds which only offers a view of gravel pads and bbq stands.

I don’t mind primitive camp spots, just so long as it won’t take a lot of trips getting to and from the truck. I have my gear, but I’ll be forced to beg, borrow and steal to get her enough gear that will offer at least a night of fun.

This will be the week before Christmas and since she’s dedicating a day or two of outdoors with me, I would like to make it enjoyable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kenny