I guess I mentioned the verbal commands first because that's how the obedience class did it. They didn't bring in hand signals until the level 3 class. I agree, it is fine to teach the two together. The hand signals are necessary to teach the "down on recall" maneuver (you know, for when your dog runs across the street, you call him to come, and a car appears).

Hysson always hated "down"--it was usually very slow-motion--but he did it faster when I used the hand signal. Then there was the first time we took the AKC Canine Good Citizen test. The judge was a long-time instructor in the obedience classes, so of course Hysson regarded her as a close friend. When I called him to "come," he was looking at her instead of me, so he went to her instead. Sorry, no pass! That's why I mentioned getting the dog's attention first!

Bill, are you also going to take the burros? We haven't heard about them for a while!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/21/13 07:03 PM)