Latest update: Just got back from the cardiologist and had a nuclear stress test so I may glow in the dark tonight. Everything is normal with no blockage and normal function. Completed three weeks on a heart monitor and no abnormal heart beats except that my heart rate goes up for a half hour or so in the evening and he was OK with that when I told him that was when I was on the treadmill.

The biggest problem is that they really do not know why I had the stroke in the first place. Everything looks good and I had the PFO for 73 years before it caused any problem and if I can do half of that again I should be good. They have me on low dose aspirin and low dose cholesterol and blood pressure medication mostly just as a just in case thing. The doctor seemed to be a little dubious about backpacking and thought that I probably should wait about three months so no backpacking this fall I guess. My wife is starting to accept the idea but wants me to go on trail closer to civilization at least at first. She also likes the idea of a SPOT so I may end up carrying one just for her peace of mind but getting out next spring is looking fairly good.

Thanks for the input folks.