Training for offleash: Obedience training and lots of it. My Hysson had to repeat the second level class 4-5 times before he finally learned that taking off the leash did NOT mean running over to play with the other dogs in the class. Using a really lighweight puppy leash definitely helped with the transition.

There are more and more places that either require leashes or need them out of courtesy to others because the trails are crowded. Remember, not everyone loves dogs and some--with reason--are scared of them. Many sweet lovely dogs become fearful in strange surrounds and bark, threaten or even bite oncoming hikers. If your dog cannot absolutely be trusted to stay close to you at all times and not run ahead, not chase game, and come instantly when called regardless of distractions, please USE THAT LEASH! Thank you!

I know that some people train successfully with shock collars, but I've also seen a number of dogs traumatized by them. I would never use one. They are not a substitute for either extensive training nor for a leash!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/02/13 09:34 PM)