I dehydrate stuff. Go to Trader Joes and get a few Indian ready to eat dishes, make a pot of rice - dehydrate them separately then rehydrate in camp... make a dish, dehydrate it... I've dehydrated tuna casserole and seen the broccoli rehydrate perfectly. I will dehydrate a can of chili. Dehydrate a can of chicken so it'll be ready to add to whatever. Dehydrate your favorite refried beans or hummus. I've dehydrated lots of things - as long as it can be spread thin on a piece of parchment paper, any soup or casserole or side dish or main dish can go in. Plenty of variety that way - tons more variety than spending all your money on foil packets of preservatives, spices and that tiny bit of food they include in Mountain House....

Some things you wouldn't want to leave for years - I have a spot for the dehydrator where it sits all the time. Any dish with meat I use within 2-3 weeks of dehydrating it. Sometimes the dish comes out like bark, not quite totally dry, but that's okay if you use it promptly.

I'm waiting for some nectarines I bought to ripen so I can dehydrate them.

http://hikeandbackpack.com