Sorry for the long delay, I've been distracted in my newfound aspirations toward "the strenuous life" as TR would call it.

Originally Posted By hshires
Originally Posted By Robotmoose

- It's difficult to coordinate setup with two poles. One always wants to slide off kilter or drop away. It seems to be easiest to set the tent up with one trekking pole, and then switch to two.

It's actually pretty easy to do it with two if you initially start with a "V" pole setup. Put the tips of the two poles into the outside grommets but bring the handles together so that they function as one at ground level. Continue the setup as you would for a single pole. Then swing the poles outward so the same assumes more of a "/ \" configuration and you're good to go.

-H

Wow! Straight from the horse's mouth! That is certainly something one wouldn't see with a big mega-corporation;s product. Henry, I hope I've made it clear that I'm very happy with this product. As it is, I consider the Squall 2 I own as close to perfect as I could have asked for, and the few troubles I did have really were end-user issues.

Originally Posted By lostagain
Robot: Thanks for this review. I've been debating different tents/shelters for solo use and the Squall 2 was one of them. I'm a large guy (6'1"/230) and most of the solo tents don't have enough room for me and my pack+boots. Living in TX, we have numerous threats that come out day or night and I don't particularly want to deal with spiders. tarantulas or snakes either in my boots or in my packs. So, bringing them in at night is pretty much essential. I make sure to cook away from my tent to minimize "visits" from bobcats, coyotes or feral hogs. (and you thought bears were the only thing to worry about smile ) Put my food trash in AlokSak Opsaks to kill the smell, so, bringing my pack inside is OK. When I hike in East TX or SE OK, or Arkansas I hang my food, so again NBD. But being able to keep the desert critters out is a HUGE deal and you helped me on the road to deciding just which shelter to get. Gracias! laugh

Nothing starts my day like a nice morning boot-scorpion!
Honestly, I get alot of odd looks when I say bears don't really bother me, but feral hogs truly do terrify me.
Bears are relatively predictable or at least can be "tabled": human action X = bear action Y, etc. Feral hogs are just plain ornery and sometimes downright vicious. Bears won't usually gore someone just because they're there, but a razorback won't think twice about it.

Anyway, I hope you find a tent that suits your fancy, I love this model because it lives up to my "Keep it Simple, Stupid" life model, but not everybody rolls that way.