Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts

And, to be honest, I've thought about taking out a couple of the neighbors from time to time - but that had nothing to do with Doomsday. smile

Haha! I know the feeling.

I enjoy watching the preppers shows because sometimes they have great ideas for improvising or making your own gear. When it comes to the end of the world or a natural disaster, it can't hurt to be at least somewhat prepared. Most of the people on those shows have let it consume their lives though and most of them haven't convinced their spouses of the necessity, which can never be a good thing. Growing up in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, snow storms would regularly knock out power for a few days a few times each winter. We learned early on how to cook over a wood stove, keep yourself warm, and how to get around in the deep snow. My entire family has been born and bred with great survival instincts and aren't phased by the thought of having to survive on nothing if forced to.

As soon as winter hit, I was always taught to keep an extra coat, boots, gloves, hat, and blanket in the trunk in case you get caught in a storm and stranded. Living in Tennessee, it was the same way with tornadoes. You prepare yourself and have the necessary arrangements made so that when it comes around, you're ready and you just move into position and have no worries.