I'm brand spanking new here.It has been 40 years since I've done any backpacking but I am chomping at the bit to get on the trail again. I will be 63 in a couple of months, have had two heart attacks (two in two days) due to hypertension, don't smoke and, as my user name would indicate, I don't have a weight problem unless it is the inability to gain any.
I really am eager to get onto the Appalachian Trail as soon as I can for some solo trips. I'd like to maybe do a 2 night trip just to test gear, which I haven't bought yet, and get use to the idea of being out on the trail with just my dog for company.
I am planning on taking a cell phone, GPS and maybe my laptop. I have been on the trail I was planning on using before. It is by Gettysburg PA and I think I catch the trail at a place called Pine Grove Furnace State park. I had planned on hitting the park on a Friday afternoon, spending the night there, hiking up the trail for maybe 10 miles, camping the night and hiking back to the camp Sunday.
If I am crazy, I would appreciate it if someone would tell me now before I try this.
In the meantime, I am heading over to the over the hill section to see what the old people do on the trail.