Yes, a good summary. I think I've followed all those points (most of the time). smile

I prefer to hike solo, but my first trip out west I hooked up with another person "just in case". The next summer I did 7 days on my own, including some off-trail or rarely traveled areas. I did turn around a couple times when the terrain was more challenging then I cared for.

My biggest "weakness" I have is not having a SPOT or similar device should I become seriously injured that I can't self-rescue. Not worth it for one trip a year, but if I'm able to go more often or have more money I can spend, I'll get one for my wife's piece of mind.

The only stupid thing I know that I've done (after the fact) was setup my shelter in a 12,000' rock basin as a storm approached. Kept me out of the rain and hail and the thunder was really cool in surround sound (!), but the hiking pole (aluminum) needed for my shelter could have spelled my doom in said lightning I suppose (though the surrounding peaks were much higher targets and I never felt the tingling you get before a strike). As an electrical engineer, I fully understand the dangers of lightning, but I never even thought about that (I love thunderstorms - just not getting wet).