I used to carry the whole map, but alot of the retail maps have gotten huge lately, including weird booklets and things, it's just too complex for my "Keep it simple, stupid" life philosophy. So lately I've gotten into the habit of measuring our the sections I want, and then marking them off in a blue-tape rectangle. Then taking the map to a copy store and asking them to copy the blue-taped area onto two or three pages of legal paper, which I hose down with water proofing spray at home. It's worked out well so far.

I also use TOPO USA with my Earthmate, and thus far the maps have been decently accurate. Sometimes I'll run a print copy of the Delorme maps along with my copies of the master map so I can compare the two.

It's funny, because when I was a young Scout, I never took navigation seriously. Everywhere we went, we had incredible trails all over to follow, with signs even. Why bother with a map and compass when these nice trails took me where I wanted to go? Now, the shoe's on the other foot: I'd rather not follow the trails if i can help it, which got me into maps.

Edited by Robotmoose (05/07/13 03:37 PM)
Edit Reason: I had to kill off a giant run-on sentence