I am not trying to make anyone think it is so dangerous you should never hike solo. The facts are there - stuff happens, and some stuff is more likely to happen to a solo hiker than a group hiker. Additionally, solo hikers who are not aware of the risks rarely ask, so this is a golden opportunity to provide information.

In the context of the thread we are talking about a backpacker who wants to know the risks - not a lifelong outdoorsman who practically lives out there. They are different creatures. I would assume for example Larry Conn was injured or killed, not that he was lost. Being lost is more likely with the occasional hiker who just doesn't see the need for a map, let alone know how to read it. Level of comfort doesn't mean much sometimes - you can make a mistake in the sierra many times before it becomes a problem....

Should i be writing a two page disclaimer that taking risks into consideration is your choice and you can assume i'm full of it if you like? Or provide links to the many cases where the risks are published clearly in the media, so you don't have to assume it's personal?

You won't be searched for unless someone reports you missing, by the way, so not sure where you are coming from there.

http://hikeandbackpack.com